So that food is as healthy as possible in a multiple pregnancy, the mother should moderately increase the consumption of certain foods. It is not necessary to eat large quantities, and the nutritional status of the pregnant woman will always be taken into account: a mother with normal weight, underweight or overweight is not the same.
Discover how to get a balanced diet during a twin or multiple pregnancy.
In the case of multiple pregnancy or twin pregnancy, you have to take into account the food what will be necessary to include in the diet, and even more so if so far you had not incorporated them into the eating plan or were doing it less frequently. We refer to all these foods:
- Legumes, whole grains.
- Vegetables and fruits.
- Proteins of animal origin (chicken, turkey, beef) or vegetable (tofu, tempeh).
- Healthy fats (extra virgin oil, nuts or seeds).
In pregnancy it is important to ensure consumption of certain nutrients that are essential for the development of the fetus and the well-being of the mother. That does not matter whether the pregnancy is single or multiple. Nutrients that are necessary to supplement before, during and after pregnancy are iodine, folic acid and iron.
1. Folic Acid:
Folic acid is essential for the health of the baby, especially during the first trimester of pregnancy, since a deficit of folic acid puts the baby at risk of developing neural tube defects.
Foods that contain folic acid:
- Legumes: beans, soybeans, chickpeas and beans.
- Seeds: sesame seed, and sunflower.
- Vegetables and vegetables: spinach, endive, asparagus, leek ...
- Nuts: peanuts.
- Food of animal origin: egg.
Due to the increased blood flow associated with multiple pregnancies, iron levels may decrease causing anemia. Therefore, it is advisable to increase the consumption of foods rich in iron.
- Protein from animal origin: egg, organ meats (liver), lean meat and pork, shellfish (clam, cockles).
- Whole grains (Wheat bran and wheat germ, wheat, quinoa).
- Legumes (lentils, beans, soybeans and chickpeas).
- Nuts (pistachio, walnuts, almonds).
- Seeds (sesame, sunflower, flax seeds).
- Green leafy vegetables (spinach, chard).
To improve the absorption of iron from foods of plant origin should include foods containing vitamin C (tomato, red cabbage, red pepper, papaya, citrus, strawberry, kiwi)
It is recommended to consume a pinch of iodized salt daily (sea salt, Himalayan salt or coarse salt does not contain iodine).
1. Calcium: Pregnant women should increase calcium intake around 1200 mgs (equals 4 servings of dairy).
- Dairy (yogurt, milk or cheese)
- Nuts (almond, hazelnut)
- Sesame seeds
- Blue fish (salmon, sardines, anchovies)
2. Vitamin B12: In case you are vegetarian, vitamin B12 supplementation is essential, otherwise you can include foods rich in this vitamin such as beef. egg, chicken, turkey and shellfish (cockles, clams)
3. Fiber:In the case of multiple pregnancy, it is usually recommended that you take a fiber supplement, since you can suffer from constipation.
You can read more articles similar to How should a balanced diet be during a twin pregnancy, in the Diet category - menus on site.